2/11/2010

Romance Novel Award Season



I read a romance novel a day so I’m constantly looking for new-to-me authors. That is why I love, love, love award season. This is the time of year (right around now) that review sites and magazines are announcing their Best Of’s for 2009. In these lists of nominees (and later winners), there are authors I’ve never, ever heard of yet someone out there in romance reader land (the happiest place on the planet) thinks they’re the best.

What a gift!

I immediately add these authors and titles to my to be bought list. Because I read so many romance novels, I prefer to look at the nominee lists. After reading them all, I’ll decide the winner for myself. One of my buddies reads a romance novel a week. She reads the winners. Another buddy is perverse (that’s perverse, not perverted). She refuses to read any book up for an award. She leans toward quirky romances not representative of the genre.

There are certain categories I drift to. I like to support new authors so I’ll always pick up Best Debut Book. Historical Romance is another one of my fave’s. Give me a Duke and I’m happy. Give me a scarred Duke and I’m ecstatic. There are also categories that I WISH awards had like Angstiest Vampire or Most Creative Use Of The Word Feisty. Romances are fun. We should have fun with the awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment